Route of North German Romanticism
Between Greifswald and Wolgast, the Route of North German Romanticism combines the art and literature of the Romantic era with today's nature experience along the coast of Greifswald Bay.
Guide and Information
The signpost "Route of North German Romanticism" leads along all locations of the route. Information boards at the designated stations document art-historical contents and provide insights into the homeland of Romanticism.
Route of North German Romanticism
Stations and places along the route
Caspar David Friedrich Centre
The Caspar David Friedrich Centre was opened in 2004 in the old soap factory in remembrance of the great artist and the most famous son of the city of Greifswald. It was extended in 2011 to include the entire former residential and business premises of the Friedrich family. The centre is an exhibition and document space as well as a research centre.
The Caspar David Friedrich Centre in Greifswald, the birthplace of the romantic painter, offers a wide range of information about the city’s famous son (1774-1840), his family and home region, his work and the Romantic era. In the historical...
Pomeranian State Museum
14,000 years of eventful history on the southern Baltic coast on both sides of the Oder River are presented between the former Franciscan church and the city wall - in an award-winning building ensemble that impressively combines Gothic, Classicist and contemporary architecture. The precious collection of paintings presents works by renowned painters such as Caspar David Friedrich, Frans Hals, Philipp Otto Runge, Max Liebermann, Max Pechstein and Vincent van Gogh.
Various exhibits paint a multifaceted picture of the development of Pomerania since the first hunters and gatherers. An impressive highlight is the unique 30 m2 Croy carpet, a testimony to the high culture at the court of the Griffins, the Pomeranian...
Church St. Marien Greifswald
The Church of St. Marien is a parish church in the middle of Greifswald's old town. The Church of St. Marien can be visited after the Sunday service until 13.00 a ’clock. In the months of June, July and August, the following opening hours apply: Monday to Friday from 10 to 18 a ‘clock and Saturday 11 to 15 a ‘clock. Church tours can be booked in the church office or in the church.
The construction start of the St. Marien Church, which is also called the "fat Marie" by the citizens of Greifswald, probably dates back to the middle of the 13th century. Together with the two other city churches of St. Nikolai and St. Jacobi, it is...
Eldena Abbey is a former Cistercian monastery, originally named Hilda Abbey. Only ruins survive of the monastery, which was founded in 1199 and is well known as a frequent subject of Caspar David Friedrich's paintings.
Caspar David Friedrich (1774-1840) made the ruins of the medieval Cistercian monastery Eldena widely known with his paintings and drawings. The remains of the once important monastery are embedded in a park with old trees, including 180-year-old oak...
Village church Kemnitz
The village church in Kemnitz looks back on a long tradition. In the rectory, right next to the church is a small exhibition of the painter Friedrich August von Klinkowström.The theme cycle path "Route of North German Romanticism", which runs from Greifswald to Wolgast, leads to the places of this painter of the romantic period.
The church was built around 1300. The monastery Eldena promoted the establishment of the church, which was extended several times in the following centuries, but were also destroyed. The church received today's appearance in the middle of the 18th...
The Renaissance palace Ludwigsburg was built between 1577 and 1592 as a widow's seat for Hedwig Sophie von Pommern-Wolgast. After her death in 1631 the palace changed hands several times until it was sold to the Greifswald merchant Weissenborn in 1810.
The district Ludwigsburg belongs to the municipality Loissin and inspires as a special excursion destination with one of the last preserved castles of the Pomeranian dukes in Germany.The Renaissance castle Ludwigsburg, idyllically situated on the...
Ludwigsburg Natural Beach
Ludwigsburg beach is a popular destination for holidaymakers and locals. On hot summer days you can relax in a shady spot under the pine trees of the coastal forest or enjoy the rustic food and drink in a local inn. The homemade cakes are highly recommended.Kiters and surfers will love the beach and the shallow water of the Danish Wiek and the Bay of Greifswald.
The beach is located some 3 kilometres outside the village, directly on the Danish Wieck. It is easy to reach by bike via a quiet road, a section of the Baltic coast cycle path. The secure car park costs two euros per day. The beach is very pretty,...
Natural Beach Vierow
Not far from the small industrial port of Vierow and about 2 km from the village of Vierow, you can reach the natural beach Vierow on a hiking and cycling path. Lined by small and large stones and protected by a cliff about 1 to 3 meters high, the southern coast of Rügen with Zudar and peninsula Mönchgut in sight. Already Caspar-David Friedrich looked from here to the island of Rügen and drew “Fischerboote am Strand”.
If you feel like chicken gods, fossilized witnesses of yesteryear and of course amber, you can stroll the 3 kilometers along the natural beach from the seaside resort of Lubmin in the direction of Vierow harbor or upside down. It's a circuit if you...
The "Teufelsstein" in Lubmin
The “Teufelsstein”, which translates to “Devil’s Stone”, is a boulder in the Greifswalder Bodden near Lubmin. As late as 1909 it was above the cliff. It serves as a benchmark for surveying the coastal decline. It is a popular photo opportunity on a hike along the cliff coast to Vierow and on the high shore back to the seaside resort of Lubmin.
Its length is 6 m, width 3.6 m and height 3.0 m. With a circumference of 16.9 m, it has a volume of 34 m³. It consits of granite. A short hike along the beach in the seaside resort of Lubmin leads to the legendary stone. According to various legends,...
Seaside Resort of Lubmin
The peaceful seaside resort of Lubmin with its 350 m long pier, a wide child-friendly sandy beach and picturesque and quaint pine forests is perfect for a family holiday. Lubmin is one of the stations of the "Route of North German Romanticism".
As a holiday destination, not just in the summer, Lubmin is a true insider tip. The resort’s five-kilometre beach with firm, fine sand and shallow water is ideal for a family holiday with small children. The pine forest behind the beach keeps the...
Village church Wusterhusen
The village church Wusterhusen in Western Pomerania is originally from the 13th century.
The church Wusterhusen was built in the 13th century and extended to a three-aisled hall with a west tower at the beginning of the 15th century. The font (13th century), the Marienaltar (15th century) and the medieval paintings inside the church are...
Constant Exhibition of the Poet Karl Gottlieb Lappe in Wusterhusen near Lubmin
Karl Gottlieb Lappe - a nearly forgotten Poet (1773-1843). A constant exhibition in Wusterhusen, close to the beach Resort Lubmin, is located in the rectory of Wusterhusen's church. Here, the life and works of the poet Karl Lappe is documented and readings bring the poet's achievements closer. Wusterhusen is one of the stations of the "Route of North German Romanticism".
Karl Gottlieb Lappe was born as the pastor’s son on April 23, 1773 in Wusterhusen. In preparation for the study he visited the city school Wolgast, whose principal was no less a figure than Ludwig Gotthard Kosegarten (1758-1818). Kosegarten, who was...
Museum of Local History Freest
The small museum hosts a collection of many different commodities, which were used in the daily life of the local fishermen and farmers. The exhibition hall was carefully arranged by the village’s residents. Special attractions are the famous traditional carpets of Freest.
The hand-knotted rarities have been produced here since 1928. In last centuries, the carpet was an additional income for the fishing families. When you are looking for a group tour, please give a short call.
The beach is perfectly suited for a sunbath, has a child-friendly shore and a small playground. Dogs are not allowed.
The village Freest is located on the mainland. It is 10 kilometres to the north of Wolgast, near by the Peene. The view from the beach to the estuary and to the opposite Peenemünde is a pleasure. The beach is perfectly suited for a sunbath, has a...
Fishing Harbor Freest
The fishing village Freest is located directly at the mouth of the Peene River to the Bay of Greifswalder and is home to the largest fishing port in Mecklennburg-Vorpommern (MV). Every 5th fish in MV is caught here, mostly herring, flounder and cod. Also the oldest smokehouse in Vorpommern is located near the harbour. From May to October guests can take the ferry to the island of Usedom, Peenemünde, every hour from May to October. Bicycle transport is also possible.
1995 - 2005 the port was renovated with EU funds. 26 fishermen's cabins were erected on the quay wall. A functional building with sanitary facilities was part of the overall project. This also houses a branch office of the pilots and the German...
The Dreilindengrund in Wolgast
Located on the Peenestrom in the district Tannenkamp in Wolgast you drive on the route of North German Romanticism along the Dreilindengrund. This translates to: The Ground of three limetrees. The name was given to it from the landing stage at the transfer of the fallen Swedish king Gustav II Adolf in 1633 during the Thirty Years' War. In memory of him three lime trees were planted. The small forest nearby was named Gustav-Adolf-Schlucht.
From the direction of Greifswald along the Baltic Sea Cycle Route, the trail leads along the Wolgast Tannenkamp animal park and Dreilindengrund. A swimming area at the Gustav-Adolfs-Schlucht invites you to linger and along the Peenestrom you have a...
City Harbour Wolgast
The city harbour of Wolgast spreads an impressive maritime flair and is part of the "Route of the North German Romanticism." . Passenger ships set off on excursions into the backwater and to the Bay of Greifswald. The sailing ship "Weisse Düne" invites guests for a trip. A sensational view to the Petrikirche and the city centre is offered to the viewer. The imposing bascule bridge to the island of Usedom and the Peene shipyard characterise the town on the Peene river.
The city harbour Wolgast is the departure point for the classic harbour tours, boat trips on the Achterwasser or the Peene river. This is also where the leisure captains with their houseboats and sailing yachts are moored. With about 100 calls per...
The museum Rungehaus is the birth house of the painter and romantic artist Philipp Otto Runge (1777-1810). Alongside Caspar David Friedrich, he is regarded as one of the most important painters and graphic artists of the German Romantic period.
The pictures of Philipp August Runge are exhibited in the Hamburger Kunsthalle, and his life is documented in his birth house in Wolgast. In addition to his paintings, Runge made significant contributions to the three-dimensional colour theory, he...
Historic Town Hall Wolgast
The historic town hall forms the core of Wolgast old town on a medieval groundplan. In the town hall the tourist information Wolgast is located downstairs.
Built in the 15th century, the town hall was destroyed by the city fires in 1512, 1625 and 1713 and was rebuilt between 1720 and 1724. The remains of the originally Gothic building are still visible. However, the facade is from the late Baroque...
Tourist Information Wolgast
Located at the Baltic Sea coast bike path and the 'Jakobsweg' as well as at the E9. Pleasure craft and yacht harbour in the city center. Accommodation service for Wolgast, Island of Usedom and Western Pomerania, true to scale bike and hike maps, ticket pre-sale for Wolgast, Island of Usedom and in all of Germany, UBB agency with sale of day tours and adventure trips.
Nowadays the ducal town Wolgast, former residence of the dukes of Pommern-Wolgast, houses the royal burial ground of the last Pomeranian dukes in the 'St. Petri' Church. Beside the Pomerianian dukes the merchant family Homeyer and the naval architect...