The Runge House museum

The Runge House museum is the birth house of the painter and romantic artist Philipp Otto Runge. The painter and romantic artist Philipp Otto Runge (1777-1810), alongside Caspar David Friedrich, is regarded as one of the most important painters and graphic artists of the German Romantic period.

 The pictures of Philipp August Runge are exhibited in the Hamburger Kunsthalle, and his life is documented in his birth house in Wolgast. In addition to his paintings, Runge made significant contributions to the three-dimensional colour theory, he designed playing cards and wrote down the first fairy tales in Germany. The most famous fairy tale - "The Fisherman and his Wife” - became part of the collection of the Brothers Grimm.

Northern German romantic period route - Runge House in Wolgast - The birthplace of Runge

Philipp Otto Runge was born on 23 July 1777. Like Friedrich August von Klinkowström, he had ten brothers and sisters. His teacher at Wolgaster school, the writer Ludwig Gotthard Kosegarten, recognised and promoted his talent early on. In 1799, following an apprenticeship in Hamburg, Runge decided to study art in Copenhagen. After his return, he met Caspar David Friedrich and also moved to Dresden. Runge did spend a few years in Wolgast, where he developed his three-dimensional colour theory. One of his most famous works, “Wilhelmine Helwig”, is exhibited in the Pomeranian State Museum in Greifswald.


Details at a glance

Museum Runge-Haus

Kronwiekstraße 45
17438 Wolgast

Telephone: +49 3836 203041