Brick trench bridge - Rügen dam

The Rügen causeway is the first fixed trafficable crossing of the Strelasund, over which both the old B 96, the Stralsund-Sassnitz railroad line and a footpath and cycle path lead. It was completed in 1937.

The old drawbridge (brick moat bridge) is 133 m long and connects the mainland with the island of Dähnholm. It consists of three parts: Two fixed bridges and the foldable middle part. The steel structure of the middle section is closed to road and rail traffic at fixed times every day. Lifting the bridge sections allows shipping to pass the Rügen Dam; opening occurs daily at 2:30 a.m. (opening on demand), 5:20 a.m., 8:20 a.m., 12:20 p.m., 3:20 p.m., 5:20 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. for 20 minutes each day.


Details at a glance


Werftstraße / L296
18439 Stralsund