The building stems from the chapel to a hospital situated in the north-east of the town, the medieval Georgen hospital. The chapel is depicted as a pointy tower on the veduta of Loitz, which is at the margin of the “Lubinsche Karte”. The dowager duchess Sophie Hedwig had erected the building in 1619 as a cemetery chapel. In the meantime the hospital’s previously used cemetery was used as a civic cemetery. The church’s round-arched Renaissance gantry originates from these times.
During the occupation in Swedish-Pomerania by the Napoleon army in 1807, the church was used as a powder keg. Afterwards the church was used as a warehouse and mortuary. In 1857 the church was renovated. On the occasion of a renovation in 1953, the church has been named Luther church. She is used as a winter church. At the south wall of the church, there are the tombstones of the royal Swedish Amtshauptmann to Loitz, Michael Christan Schulemann (1668-1724) and the rule-minister and assessor of war consistory, Christian Friderici (1709).