Route of North German Romanticism
The themed bike route focuses on the Romantics from Vorpommern: Caspar David Friedrich, Friedrich August von Klinkowström, Karl Gottlieb Lappe and Philipp Otto Runge.
From the ruins of Eldena Abbey to the Rungehaus Wolgast - on the altogether 54 kilometers long Route of North German Romanticism, important life and motif stations of the early Romantic painters Friedrich, Klinkowström, Runge and the poet Karl Lappe are passed. Including original locations with cultural treasures such as the Ludwigsburg castle, the parsonage Wusterhusen or the harbours of Vierow and Wolgast. Following the Baltic Coast Cycle Route (Ostseeküsten-Radweg), information boards at 10 designated stations provide background information on the artistic and private development of the four protagonists and provide a selection of interesting tips on other natural and cultural highlights along the route.
The tour starts individually (or guided by trained nature-culture guides) in Greifswald or Wolgast. Central and regular train connections in these cities allow for easy arrival and departure with your own bike. In addition, rental bicycles of the UsedomRad stations ensure a comfortable and flexible journey. A variety of lodging, dining and cultural options along the route invite for relaxed stops or longer stays.
Distances of the route at a glance:
Greifswald Town Centre - Ruins of Eldena Abbey: 5.5 km
Greifswald Ruins of Eldena Abbey - Kemnitz: 6,1 km
Kemnitz - Ludwigsburg castle: 4.3 km
Ludwigsburg - Loissin - Vierow: 7.3 km
Vierow - Seaside Resort Lubmin: 4.3 km, alternatively via Vierow Harbour: 4.7 km
Seaside Resort Lubmin - Wusterhusen: 2,3 km
Seaside Resort Lubmin - Fishing Village Freest: 8,4 km
Fishing Village Freest - Wolgast Dreilindengrund: 11.8 km
Wolgast Dreilindengrund - Wolgast Harbour: 1.0 km
Wolgast Harbour - Wolgast Rungehaus: 0,1 km
Total distance: about 54 km
Discover the Route of North German Romanticism with the free App izi.TRAVEL
Guide and Information
The signpost "Route of North German Romanticism" leads along all locations of the route. Information boards at the designated stations document art-historical contents and provide insights into the homeland of Romanticism.
>>> Online Flyer English
>>> Online Flyer Polish
Caspar David Friedrich Centre
The Caspar David Friedrich Centre was opened in 2004 in the old soap factory in remembrance of the great artist and the most famous son of the city of Greifswald. It was extended in 2011 to include the entire former residential and business premises of the Friedrich family. The centre is an exhibition and document space as well as a research centre.
The Caspar David Friedrich Centre in Greifswald, the birthplace of the romantic painter, offers a wide range of information about the city’s famous son (1774-1840), his family and home region, his work and the Romantic era. In the historical...
Pomeranian State Museum
Built between 1998 and 2005 and using the edifices of the former monastery from the 15th century, the prize-winning ensemble of buildings belonging to the Pomeranian State Museum displays numerous pieces from prehistoric and early history, the age of Hanseatic towns, the emergence of the Imperial Resorts.
Built between 1998 and 2005 and using the edifices of the former monastery from the 15th century, the prize-winning ensemble of buildings belonging to the Pomeranian State Museum displays numerous pieces from prehistoric and early history, the age of...
Church St. Marien Greifswald
The Church of St. Marien is a parish church in the middle of Greifswald's old town. The Church of St. Marien can be visited after the Sunday service until 13.00 a ’clock. In the months of June, July and August, the following opening hours apply: Monday to Friday from 10 to 18 a ‘clock and Saturday 11 to 15 a ‘clock. Church tours can be booked in the church office or in the church.
The construction start of the St. Marien Church, which is also called the "fat Marie" by the citizens of Greifswald, probably dates back to the middle of the 13th century. Together with the two other city churches of St. Nikolai and St. Jacobi, it is...
Monastery ruin Eldena
The monastery ruin and its park are a popular excursion destination of the people of Greifswald and the city’s visitors. The monastery ruin is both the start and destination of the themed cycle route “Northern German romantic period route”, which documents the lives of the Northern German romantics of Western Pomerania
The ruins of the monastery complex are in the Greifswald district of Eldena. The former Cistercian monastery was built in 1199. Initially, the monastery was called “Hilda”, after the name of the village at the time. During the Thirty Years’ War the...
Village church Kemnitz
The village church in Kemnitz looks back on a long tradition. In the rectory, right next to the church is a small exhibition of the painter Friedrich August von Klinkowström.The theme cycle path "Romantic route", which runs from Greifswald to Wolgast, leads to the places of this painter of the romantic period.
The church was built around 1300. The monastery Eldena promoted the establishment of the church, which was extended several times in the following centuries, but were also destroyed. The church received today's appearance in the middle of the 18th...
Ludwigsburg palace and estate
The Renaissance palace Ludwigsburg was built between 1577 and 1592 as a widow's seat for Hedwig Sophie von Pommern-Wolgast. After her death in 1631, the palace changed hands several times, until it was sold in 1810 to the merchant Weissenborn from Greifswald. In 1776, the estate and the castle was taken over by Lieutenant Colonel Friedrich Ernst Sebastian von Klinkowström. His son Friedrich August von Klinkowström was born there on 31 August 1778 as the second of eleven children. His birth was entered into the parish register of the Church of the Holy Cross in Kemnitz.
Following the restitution of property by the communist regime in 1945, the estate was not maintained and fell into disrepair. Since 1998, the support association “Schloss- und Gutshofanlage Ludwigsburg e. V” together with the Weissenborn family have...
Ludwigsburg natural beach
Ludwigsburg beach is a popular destination for holidaymakers and locals. On hot summer days you can relax in a shady spot under the pine trees of the coastal forest or enjoy the rustic food and drink in a local inn. The homemade cakes are highly recommended.Kiters and surfers will love the beach and the shallow water of the Danish Wiek and the Bay of Greifswald.
The beach is located some 3 kilometres outside the village, directly on the Danish Wieck. It is easy to reach by bike via a quiet road, a section of the Baltic coast cycle path. The secure car park costs two euros per day.The beach is very pretty,...
Natural beach Vierow
Not far from the small industrial port of Vierow and about 2 km from the village of Vierow, you can reach the natural beach Vierow on a hiking and cycling path. Lined by small and large stones and protected by a cliff about 1 to 3 meters high, the southern coast of Rügen with Zudar and peninsula Mönchgut in sight. Already Caspar-David Friedrich looked from here to the island of Rügen and drew “Fischerboote am Strand”.
If you feel like chicken gods, fossilized witnesses of yesteryear and of course amber, you can stroll the 3 kilometers along the natural beach from the seaside resort of Lubmin in the direction of Vierow harbor or upside down. It's a circuit if you...
The "Teufelsstein" in Lubmin
The “Teufelsstein”, which translates to “Devil’s Stone”, is a boulder in the Greifswalder Bodden near Lubmin. As late as 1909 it was above the cliff. It serves as a benchmark for surveying the coastal decline. It is a popular photo opportunity on a hike along the cliff coast to Vierow and on the high shore back to the seaside resort of Lubmin.
Its length is 6 m, width 3.6 m and height 3.0 m. With a circumference of 16.9 m, it has a volume of 34 m³. It consits of granite. A short hike along the beach in the seaside resort of Lubmin leads to the legendary stone. According to various legends,...
Seaside resort of Lubmin
The peaceful seaside resort of Lubmin with its 350 m long pier, a wide child-friendly sandy beach and picturesque and quaint pine forests is perfect for a family holiday. Lubmin is one of the stations of the themed cycle route “Northern German romantic period route”.
As a holiday destination, not just in the summer, Lubmin is a true insider tip. The resort’s five-kilometre beach with firm, fine sand and shallow water is ideal for a family holiday with small children. The pine forest behind the beach keeps the...
Village church Wusterhusen
The village church Wusterhusen in Western Pomerania is originally from the 13th century.
The church Wusterhusen was built in the 13th century and extended to a three-aisled hall with a west tower at the beginning of the 15th century. The font (13th century), the Marienaltar (15th century) and the medieval paintings inside the church are...
Constant Exhibition of the Poet Karl Gottlieb Lappe in Wusterhusen near Lubmin
Karl Gottlieb Lappe - a nearly forgotten Poet (1773-1843). A constant exhibition in Wusterhusen, close to the beach Resort Lubmin, is located in the rectory of Wusterhusen's church. Here, the life and works of the poet Karl Lappe is documented and readings bring the poet's achievements closer.
Karl Gottlieb Lappe was born as the pastor’s son on April 23, 1773 in Wusterhusen. In preparation for the study he visited the city school Wolgast, whose principal was no less a figure than Ludwig Gotthard Kosegarten (1758-1818). Kosegarten, who was...
Museum of local history
The small museum hosts a collection of many different commodities, which were used in the daily life of the local fishermen and farmers. The exhibition hall was carefully arranged by the village’s residents. Special attractions are the famous traditional carpets of Freest.
The hand-knotted rarities have been produced here since 1928. In last centuries, the carpet was an additional income for the fishing families. When you are looking for a group tour, please give a short call.
The beach is perfectly suited for a sunbath, has a child-friendly shore and a small playground. Dogs are not allowed.
The village Freest is located on the mainland. It is 10 kilometres to the north of Wolgast, near by the Peene. The view from the beach to the estuary and to the opposite Peenemünde is a pleasure. The beach is perfectly suited for a sunbath, has a...
Fishing Harbor Freest
One of the largest fishing ports on the Pomeranian mainland is located in Freest. In 1995 - 2005, the port was refurbished with EU funds and offers visitors a variety of services. From fresh fish from the cutter to smoked fish, everything is offered here. With the fishing boats, the small fisherman's cabins and the typical smell of fresh and smoked fish, the harbor offers a special maritime flair. In the local museum Freest you can admire the fisherman carpets.
At the quay edge, 26 fishermen's huts were set up. A functional building with sanitary facilities was part of the overall project. In this there is also a field office of the pilots and the German Society for the Salvation of Shipwrecked. Adjacent...
The Dreilindengrund in Wolgast
Located on the Peenestrom in the district Tannenkamp in Wolgast you drive on the route of North German Romanticism along the Dreilindengrund. This translates to: The Ground of three limetrees. The name was given to it from the landing stage at the transfer of the fallen Swedish king Gustav II Adolf in 1633 during the Thirty Years' War. In memory of him three lime trees were planted. The small forest nearby was named Gustav-Adolf-Schlucht.
From the direction of Greifswald along the Baltic Sea Cycle Route, the trail leads along the Wolgast Tannenkamp animal park and Dreilindengrund. A swimming area at the Gustav-Adolfs-Schlucht invites you to linger and along the Peenestrom you have a...
City harbor Wolgast
The city harbor Wolgast spreads a special maritime flair.
The city harbor is the departure point for the classic harbor tours, boat tours on the backwater or the Peene stream. It also serves as a berth for hobby skippers with their houseboats and sailing yacht. From Mai to September you get the chance to...
The Runge House museum
The Runge House museum is the birth house of the painter and romantic artist Philipp Otto Runge. The painter and romantic artist Philipp Otto Runge (1777-1810), alongside Caspar David Friedrich, is regarded as one of the most important painters and graphic artists of the German Romantic period.
The pictures of Philipp August Runge are exhibited in the Hamburger Kunsthalle, and his life is documented in his birth house in Wolgast. In addition to his paintings, Runge made significant contributions to the three-dimensional colour theory, he...
Historic Town Hall Wolgast
The historic town hall forms the core of Wolgast old town on a medieval groundplan. In the town hall the tourist information Wolgast is located downstairs.
Built in the 15th century, the town hall was destroyed by the city fires in 1512, 1625 and 1713 and was rebuilt between 1720 and 1724. The remains of the originally Gothic building are still visible. However, the facade is from the late Baroque...
Tourist Information Wolgast
Located at the Baltic Sea coast bike path and the 'Jakobsweg' as well as at the E9. Pleasure craft and yacht harbour in the city center. Accommodation service for Wolgast, Island of Usedom and Western Pomerania, true to scale bike and hike maps, ticket pre-sale for Wolgast, Island of Usedom and in all of Germany, UBB agency with sale of day tours and adventure trips.
Nowadays the ducal town Wolgast, former residence of the dukes of Pommern-Wolgast, houses the royal burial ground of the last Pomeranian dukes in the 'St. Petri' Church. Beside the Pomerianian dukes the merchant family Homeyer and the naval architect...