The Romantic era in Vorpommern
It was the special light that enveloped the meadows near Greifswald, the traditional sailing boats in the harbour, the hustle and bustle on the market square and the Eldena monastery ruin, which fascinated many artists, most notably Caspar David Friedrich, and which made Vorpommern a place of pilgrimage for the Romanticists.
Caspar David Friedrich was born in Greifswald 1774. He is regarded as the most important painter and drawer of German early Romanticism, and he returned to his home region on the coast of the Bay of Greifswald many times. The northern German landscape had a lasting impact on Friedrich’s personality as well as his painting, and it made him a forerunner of a new outlook on art and landscape.
Today, many of the stations in and around Greifswald that served as a source of inspiration and as a theme can be explored on foot or by bike along the Caspar David Friedrich walk. The local eventDay of Caspar David Friedrich in Greifswald is also worth a trip to Vorpommern. His drawings also immortalised the towns of Neubrandenburg, where his relatives lived, and Stralsund, the starting point of his travels to the island of Rügen. While on wedding trip with his wife Caroline 200 years ago, he created the famous painting “Kreidefelsen auf Rügen” (Chalk Cliffs on Rügen) – two important events that are celebrated and honoured during the anniversary year 2018. Some of the companions and friends of Friedrich also had a major impact on the Romantic epoch in Vorpommern, including Philipp Otto Runge from Wolgast, the most versatile of the 19th century painters, and Friedrich August von Klinkowström, who was responsible for the artistic design of Ludwigsburg palace. The new Northern German Route of Romanticism (to the video) tells you more about the epoch’s most famous representatives, their lives and the places they worked.
Combine the art of the Romantic era with today's nature experience.
One exhibition - three locations and many more cultural highlights.
On tour in Greifswald and surrounding, discovering original scenes.
Visit the picture gallery of Pomeranian State Museum with masterpieces of Caspar David Friedrich & Co.
Caspar David Friedrich Centre
The Caspar David Friedrich Centre was opened in 2004 in the old soap factory in remembrance of the great artist and the most famous son of the city of Greifswald. It was extended in 2011 to include the entire former residential and business premises of the Friedrich family. The centre is an exhibition and document space as well as a research centre.
The Caspar David Friedrich Centre in Greifswald, the birthplace of the romantic painter, offers a wide range of information about the city’s famous son (1774-1840), his family and home region, his work and the Romantic era. In the historical...
Pomeranian State Museum
Built between 1998 and 2005 and using the edifices of the former monastery from the 15th century, the prize-winning ensemble of buildings belonging to the Pomeranian State Museum displays numerous pieces from prehistoric and early history, the age of Hanseatic towns, the emergence of the Imperial Resorts.
Built between 1998 and 2005 and using the edifices of the former monastery from the 15th century, the prize-winning ensemble of buildings belonging to the Pomeranian State Museum displays numerous pieces from prehistoric and early history, the age of...
Greifswald Museum Harbour
Gaff ketch and schooner, sea cutter and ram ship, cruiser and holly boat - the museum harbour in Greifswald (which was founded in 1991 in the style of the museum harbours in Flensburg and Hamburg) showcases around 45 old ships. The museum is a response to the rising interest in historic ships and traditional seamanship.
The museum harbour is part of the old town harbour; it stretches from the Steinbecker bridge to the old granary and adds to the maritime flair of the Hanseatic city. The oldest ship that is showcased in the museum harbour is the “Pommerland” Zeesen...
Monastery ruin Eldena
The monastery ruin and its park are a popular excursion destination of the people of Greifswald and the city’s visitors. The monastery ruin is both the start and destination of the themed cycle route “Northern German romantic period route”, which documents the lives of the Northern German romantics of Western Pomerania
The ruins of the monastery complex are in the Greifswald district of Eldena. The former Cistercian monastery was built in 1199. Initially, the monastery was called “Hilda”, after the name of the village at the time. During the Thirty Years’ War the...
Ludwigsburg palace and estate
The Renaissance palace Ludwigsburg was built between 1577 and 1592 as a widow's seat for Hedwig Sophie von Pommern-Wolgast. After her death in 1631, the palace changed hands several times, until it was sold in 1810 to the merchant Weissenborn from Greifswald. In 1776, the estate and the castle was taken over by Lieutenant Colonel Friedrich Ernst Sebastian von Klinkowström. His son Friedrich August von Klinkowström was born there on 31 August 1778 as the second of eleven children. His birth was entered into the parish register of the Church of the Holy Cross in Kemnitz.
Following the restitution of property by the communist regime in 1945, the estate was not maintained and fell into disrepair. Since 1998, the support association “Schloss- und Gutshofanlage Ludwigsburg e. V” together with the Weissenborn family have...
Ludwigsburg natural beach
Ludwigsburg beach is a popular destination for holidaymakers and locals. On hot summer days you can relax in a shady spot under the pine trees of the coastal forest or enjoy the rustic food and drink in a local inn. The homemade cakes are highly recommended.Kiters and surfers will love the beach and the shallow water of the Danish Wiek and the Bay of Greifswald.
The beach is located some 3 kilometres outside the village, directly on the Danish Wieck. It is easy to reach by bike via a quiet road, a section of the Baltic coast cycle path. The secure car park costs two euros per day.The beach is very pretty,...
Natural beach Vierow
Not far from the small industrial port of Vierow and about 2 km from the village of Vierow, you can reach the natural beach Vierow on a hiking and cycling path. Lined by small and large stones and protected by a cliff about 1 to 3 meters high, the southern coast of Rügen with Zudar and peninsula Mönchgut in sight. Already Caspar-David Friedrich looked from here to the island of Rügen and drew “Fischerboote am Strand”.
If you feel like chicken gods, fossilized witnesses of yesteryear and of course amber, you can stroll the 3 kilometers along the natural beach from the seaside resort of Lubmin in the direction of Vierow harbor or upside down. It's a circuit if you...
Seaside resort of Lubmin
The peaceful seaside resort of Lubmin with its 350 m long pier, a wide child-friendly sandy beach and picturesque and quaint pine forests is perfect for a family holiday. Lubmin is one of the stations of the themed cycle route “Northern German romantic period route”.
As a holiday destination, not just in the summer, Lubmin is a true insider tip. The resort’s five-kilometre beach with firm, fine sand and shallow water is ideal for a family holiday with small children. The pine forest behind the beach keeps the...
City harbor Wolgast
The city harbor Wolgast spreads a special maritime flair.
The city harbor is the departure point for the classic harbor tours, boat tours on the backwater or the Peene stream. It also serves as a berth for hobby skippers with their houseboats and sailing yacht. From Mai to September you get the chance to...
The Runge House museum
The Runge House museum is the birth house of the painter and romantic artist Philipp Otto Runge. The painter and romantic artist Philipp Otto Runge (1777-1810), alongside Caspar David Friedrich, is regarded as one of the most important painters and graphic artists of the German Romantic period.
The pictures of Philipp August Runge are exhibited in the Hamburger Kunsthalle, and his life is documented in his birth house in Wolgast. In addition to his paintings, Runge made significant contributions to the three-dimensional colour theory, he...
Today’s manor house in Wrangelsburg was built around 1880. It is idyllically located and has a landscape park directly on the castle lake. Many romantic hiking trails lead into the forest from here.
In 1652, Carl Gustav Wrangel (whose family the town was named after) built a new building on the foundation of a castle that was destroyed in the Thirty Years' War, and in which he temporarily resided. This new baroque castle was completed in 1664....